Sunday, September 26, 2010

Celebrating Banned Books Week

My mom reminded me that this week is Banned Books Week.  This is a week to celebrate the freedom of expression and the freedom to access ideas even if those ideas are unpopular.  It seems appropriate to celebrate this in the face of the censorship happening on Catster.  All of us cats need to continue to stick together and meow for our right to say what we want to say.  It is very important to be able to have an open dialogue about the issues that concern us; it fosters and strengthens community. 


Purr-sonally, I like books.  All books are nice to sleep on, regardless of what they are about.  Also, I like it when my moms read books because that means they are sitting and sitting means a warm lap for a kitty.  I don't see what the fuss is about some of the books on the list.  Harry Potter is on list because there's magic in it.  But we all believe in magic, don't we?  I mean, cats are magical beings, right?  Humans are so puzzling sometimes.

My furr-iend, Sydney, likes books, too.  She likes to eat them whether they are banned or not.  She doesn't understand human behavior in this respect, either.  "They all taste the same to me," she says.  I couldn't agree more. 

1 comment:

  1. Do they Kennel the authors who write the banned books or do they remove the offending pages? I guess I am kind of confused about this censorship sruff. If you don't like something you are reading why don't you just stop reading it?
    A very confused Elise
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete